Vladimir Putin - Biography
Vladimir Vladimorivich Putin is current President of Russia. He served as President from 2000 to 2008 and re-elected in 2012. He served as Prime Minister of Russia from 2008-2012. Putin was born October 17th 1952 in St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad), Russia. His father Vladimir Spiridonovich Putin was working in Soviet Navy and his mother Maria Shelomova Putina was a factory worker , they lived in a communal apartment shared with several families.
In 1960 he went to Primary School No.193 in Leningrad until eighth grade. Then he entered High School No. 281 where he completed his High School graduation. He was an aggressive boy in School. In Schooling days he joined sports like judo and sambo. He learnt German language in School.
After Schooling he attended law in Leningrad State University and earned his degree in1975. In late 1970s he studied in KGB School in Moscow. While studying he wanted to be an intelligence officer in KGB (Russian Intelligence Service). So as a pre-requisite he joined law.
Putin met Lyudmila Shkrebneva through mutual friend she was working as flight attendant in a Russian Airlines. They got married in 1983 and had two daughters Maria and Yekaterina. In 2013 after 30 years of marriage they got divorced.
Career in Security Agencies
After graduation he joined in state security agency, after some months he was appointed in counter intelligence division there he attracted higher officers then he was sent to Moscow for Special training in KGB School.
Career in East Germany
He was sent to work in East Germany in 1985 as KGB officer. He spent next five years there gathering intelligence and recruiting foreigners, he was given cover-up as translator. After collapse of Berlin wall and disintegration of East German government he was recalled to Moscow in 1990.
After returning from East Germany he resigned from KGB. He was appointed as advisor to Mayor of St Petersburg Anatoly Sobchak who was Putin’s professor at Leningrad State University. He was head of St Petersburg branch of ‘Our Home is Russia’ political party. In 1997 he was appointed as Chief of Presidential staff by then President Yeltsin.
Presidential years 2000-2008
- In 1999 President Boris Yeltsin resigned and nominated Putin as his successor. He was Acting President from1999-2000. Due to resignation of Yeltsin Presidential elections came early in March 2000 in which Putin won with 53% votes.
- In 2004 he re-elected as President for second time. He was President until 2008.
As Prime Minister 2008-2012
He was appointed as Prime Minister by Presidential order in2008 because according to Russian Constitution a person cannot be President more than two times. Then the Constitution was amended and that rule was relaxed.
Third term as President 2012
- In March 2012 he won Presidential election with 63% votes.
- Under Putin’s rule Russian economy grew by 3 times, peoples standard of living has increased.
- Successfully organized 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi
- Annexed Crimea territory of Ukraine which was once part of Russia despite international sanctions
- Modernized Russian Military
- Strengthened Russian image world over
- International co-operation in space by contributing majorly in International Space Station
- Military support to Syria against terrorists.
The Mont (originally built as Seawise Giant) was the longest ship in ...
Gautam Gambhir is one of the leading cricketer in the Indian cricket t...
Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar was an Indian-American astrophysicist who w...
Unmukt Bharat Chand Thakur, popularly known as Unmukt Chand is an youn...
Dennis Anthony Tito is the first person who explored the space as tour...